Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Challenge

The cottage was cold for us warm blooded Arizonans. On Tuesday the overnight low dipped to 34 degrees. We were not quite prepared for this. Huddled under our blankets, I texted Dave to find out the forecast for the rest of the week. It would warm up a bit. The lows would be warmer - around 50 degrees. The kiddos were undeterred by the cold and continued their play and exploration. I pulled out the wool sweaters, socks and long sleeves. I wrapped myself in a shawl as I watched them play joining in during games of tag and charades. But I was still cold. I figured they had to be, although all three vehemently denied it.

I formulated a plan. I would make hats. We didn't bring any with us, and I figured it would not be a waste. Our plan is to remain in the colder area of the world for a bit longer. Of course, I probably had yarn for the hats, but I thought picking out their own would be more fun.

On Thursday when we set out for an adventure in Grand Rapids, I programmed the GPS to find a yarn store, and it did. We arrived at Whippletree Yarn, and my kiddos immediately suspected subterfuge. They questioned why we drove an hour  to "just visit a yarn store." They were pleasantly surprised when I told them each to pick out yarn for a hat. The store employee was very gracious and helpful. She asked the kiddos about their winter coats and was surprised when they returned her questions with blank stares. I intervened and explained we don't buy winter coats since we live in Arizona; we just layer! She wound their skeins into balls, and we set off for more fun.
When everyone woke up on Friday morning, I challenged the kiddos to pick out a hat pattern. I had a couple patterns on my computer, so we were set. Each picked a pattern from Bambeanies. Then Eamon decided to challenge me. He wondered if I could knit all three hats in two days. I accepted the challenge.
Benton's hat knit up quickly. His yarn was a bit rough on my fingers, but it went super fast. He was wearing his new hat in a couple hours. Aine's was equally quick. Her yarn was super soft and from Michigan as well. The hat came out a bit small. Of course, I didn't do a gauge swatch, so it is my fault on the sizing. I finished the i-cord ties on the hat Saturday when we arrived back at my in-laws' home. She loves the result and isn't put off by the fit.
The final hat was a bit tougher. Eamon changed his mind when I showed him another hat pattern. I thought he would really like the Windschief pattern from Stephen West, and I had it in my library. He did. After unearthing the right sized needles, I cast on for the hat. With nimble fingers I quickly finished the brim and began the main hat portion.

Unfortunately I had to sleep, so I didn't make my goal and satisfy Eamon's challenge. I cast off Sunday. Three hats in less than three days is still quite good. Now to make one for me. It is cold in my book!

11 comments:

  1. sounds like you are setting world records up there!!!! all three hats are grand!!! warm head---warm all over (at least that's what they told us when we lived in Buffalo---it didn't always work!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. If my hands and toes are warm, the rest of me is too.

      Delete
  2. the hats are lovely. i love B's hat. what a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really easy too. I will show you.

      Delete
  3. Great hats!!!! You are quite talented at picking individual hats and each child looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The kiddos actually picked out everything. I just did the knitting!

      Delete
  4. Those hats look really great Heather.
    We don't wear coats here either. 34 degrees? Oh, that really does sound nice, great knitting weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a real treat for us warm blooded folks.

      Delete
  5. How fun to actually need to knit something to keep you warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. knitting like the wind! much more than i could do in that time!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so cool heather, i loved this! the kids look adorable and your knitting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete