The cottage was cold for us warm blooded Arizonans. On Tuesday the overnight low dipped to 34 degrees. We were not quite prepared for this. Huddled under our blankets, I texted Dave to find out the forecast for the rest of the week. It would warm up a bit. The lows would be warmer - around 50 degrees. The kiddos were undeterred by the cold and continued their play and exploration. I pulled out the wool sweaters, socks and long sleeves. I wrapped myself in a shawl as I watched them play joining in during games of tag and charades. But I was still cold. I figured they had to be, although all three vehemently denied it.
I formulated a plan. I would make hats. We didn't bring any with us, and I figured it would not be a waste. Our plan is to remain in the colder area of the world for a bit longer. Of course, I probably had yarn for the hats, but I thought picking out their own would be more fun.
On Thursday when we set out for an adventure in Grand Rapids, I programmed the GPS to find a yarn store, and it did. We arrived at Whippletree Yarn, and my kiddos immediately suspected subterfuge. They questioned why we drove an hour to "just visit a yarn store." They were pleasantly surprised when I told them each to pick out yarn for a hat. The store employee was very gracious and helpful. She asked the kiddos about their winter coats and was surprised when they returned her questions with blank stares. I intervened and explained we don't buy winter coats since we live in Arizona; we just layer! She wound their skeins into balls, and we set off for more fun.
Bambeanies. Then Eamon decided to challenge me. He wondered if I could knit all three hats in two days. I accepted the challenge.
Benton's hat knit up quickly. His yarn was a bit rough on my fingers, but it went super fast. He was wearing his new hat in a couple hours. Aine's was equally quick. Her yarn was super soft and from Michigan as well. The hat came out a bit small. Of course, I didn't do a gauge swatch, so it is my fault on the sizing. I finished the i-cord ties on the hat Saturday when we arrived back at my in-laws' home. She loves the result and isn't put off by the fit.
Windschief pattern from Stephen West, and I had it in my library. He did. After unearthing the right sized needles, I cast on for the hat. With nimble fingers I quickly finished the brim and began the main hat portion.
Unfortunately I had to sleep, so I didn't make my goal and satisfy Eamon's challenge. I cast off Sunday. Three hats in less than three days is still quite good. Now to make one for me. It is cold in my book!