Pages

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Finally Success

One of my friends called me the other day with good news. She thought I would be excited, but she wasn't sure. There were some issues, but she thought I could handle it. It had happened while she was at a swap meet. She had stumbled upon a sale and saw a vintage typewriter. I was ecstatic.

I have not been quiet about wanting a typewriter. Whenever the kids and I are out, we look for one. I am a bit particular though. I don't want to pay too much and I want it to work. I now have what I wanted.


The typewriter she found is a Royal from 1951. The original sales slip was included in the case. The price on April 5, 1951 was $85.95 after a 15% discount. My friend picked it up for $5. Talk about a bargain.

It has just a few issues. Benton and I worked on it for a bit. He brought out most of his tools, but we only really needed the brush which came with it. I removed a little bit of rust in the inside and the cobwebs from the bottom. Then we worked on the keys. A few of the them are a little sticky. The next step is a bit of sewing machine oil. Once oiled, it should work fine. The ribbon is old though, so I will buy a new one this week.

The kiddos have already started pecking at the keys. They are very pleased with our new acquisition. I think they like being able to type and see the result. There is a level of instant satisfaction to a typewriter that a computer and printer don't have. I can't wait until we have a new ribbon. Don't be surprised if I type you a letter.

4 comments:

  1. YAY!!! I'm so glad you finally got what you've been looking for!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are you getting a ribbon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!!
    I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ECW74 - according to the internet I should be able to find one at Staples or Office Max. I will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete