Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Yogurt

We love yogurt.  I prefer the protein packed Greek yogurt, but we will eat it all.  Our favorite combination is plain yogurt with a bit of fruit, nuts or granola.  Benton especially gobbles it up.  To keep up with the quick consumption, I make our own yogurt.  We use organic milk and a yogurt maker my sister gave to me.  It makes 5 individual cups of yogurt.  I also have a larger yogurt maker.  In the past I used that one exclusively, but I currently prefer the individual containers with the kiddos.  We also use our yogurt in smoothies and in place of sour cream and love it.

It is very easy to make as well.  Just heat a quart of milk to 180 degrees stirring occasionally.  Cool the heated milk to 110 degrees and add 1/4 cup yogurt starter (we use 1/4 cup of homemade or store bought yogurt).  Put into the yogurt warmer cups and leave it alone for 6-8 hours.  After that time refrigerate and enjoy!   For more information on yogurt making, check out one of my favorite food blogs, 101 Cookbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment