Pages

Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Testing the Water

A true Arizona child, Benton yearns for the days of summer and endless hours of swimming. For the past two months he has donned his swimsuit and rash guard on a regular basis wanting to go to the pool. He insists that it will be warm enough. He assures me that I can just sit on the side while he swims. I don't need to even get wet or swim myself. He tells me he will be fine.
Finally today we ventured out to the pool. While playing outside, Benton rushed into the house. He returned donned in a swimsuit and too small rash guard. We were off to the pool. Gingerly he and his older sister dipped their toes into the water while standing on the steps (Eamon remembered his November dip and refused to participate reminding Aine that the water is very cold). When he tired of that, Benton stood at the side of the pool watching the water shimmer in the February light. I watched him staring at the water, knowing he was going to jump. I was right. Taking a few deep breaths, he jumped right into the pool. It was cold. Really cold. In the frigid water, Benton kicked but couldn't get back to the side. With outstretched arms, Aine and I pulled him to the side. His little lips were quaking, but he had a huge grin. After a long wait, he was back swimming.



6 comments:

  1. a brave soul. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading that made me cold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It won't be too long either for swimming here! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. made me smile, and reach for a warm blanket. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have really enjoyed reading this post, and love your blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete