Pages

Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Moving RIght Along

With all the craziness over the past week, I have not been knitting as much as I would like. I have been reading and listening to books though. My audiobook selection the past few weeks has been Bossypants by Tina Fey. I started it when I realized my other audiobook was missing  part 5 of 11. Oops. I wasn't sure I wanted to skip an hours worth of the story. (Since my laptop is being repaired, I cannot get that file). So, I started Fey's book. I like that she is a strong woman garnering tremendous success in her field. I am not all that impressed with her quick chapters on nursing and parenting. Her tone really left a sour note.

I also finished my traditional print book as well. I have heard many things about A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg. Molly is the blogger behind Orangette. I read her blog intermittently as I enjoy her style, but at times her food does not work for my family. I do love her Peppermint Bark though. When Rachel also suggested reading this cookbook, I checked it out from the library. I couldn't put it down. It isn't a traditional cookbook, but rather a collection of essays centered on food. I really liked it. I even cried a bit when she spoke of her father. It is really good. Of course, the recipes are quite yummy also. I made the French Toast and the chocolate cake. My pedestrian children prefer my toast, but everyone gobbled up the cake. I would suggest you pick this book even if you don't like to cook. It is really a nice collection of essays.

My knitting is moving slowly along. Last week I finished the Holden scarf, but I have not photographed it. The color and pattern worked well together. The picot edging felt a bit daunting as far as time, but within two hours, I had it completely bound off. This has left more time for sweater knitting. I have almost completed the body. I think I only have another inch before I need to focus on the sleeves. Those "should" go quickly, since they are reverse stockinette. Of course, you may recall that I have really long arms and no matter what size you are sleeves take time. This week I will be casting on another pair of socks, since I am challenging myself to use 12 skeins of sock yarn this year. I think I may finally knit those mystery socks from January this month.

Fellow Yarn-Alongers, how has your week been? What are you knitting and reading along with Ginny?

12 comments:

  1. oh yes, a homemade life was such a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the book sounds really interesting. i am really looking forward to getting a look at that scarf. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, you're more ambitious than me! I'm doing the 12 12s in 2012 challenge over in Rav's Stashdown group, but I only said I'd knit 12 *socks* (as in, 6 pairs), and already one pair of them was a one-skein pair.

    But I'm enjoying the challenge nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great strategy. I foolishly said 12 skeins!

      Delete
  4. http://churchyear.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ack! I apologize for the last link-as-comment up there! My fingers slipped and I got "enter" and "control v" in the wrong order - I was just trying to fill out the profile-for-commenting. I'm sorry! Feel free to delete it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading Molly's book, but except for two recipes I have never made anything from the book. I really should pull it from the shelf.
    Sleeves take time? Oh, dear I may be in trouble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure yours will fly off the needles. Which recipes did you make?

      Delete
  7. I have long arms too!!! But then I am on the tallish side of life. Thanks for the book recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed Molly's book from the library as well and tried a pickling recipe from it...my first time pickling. But I remember wanting to own the book and not return it to library!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You knit looks terrific. I have to check out that book based on your ringing recommendation! I have been fighting with a small number of stitches on dpns this week, but I conquered! :)
    xo,
    Angela (peach coglo)

    ReplyDelete