Pages

Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Stretch

I never mentioned my word for 2012. I reflected a bit at the beginning of the year on my previous year's resolve. I did fairly well on my goals, but I knew I wanted something different for 2012. This year seems big. So full of potential. I wanted to fully embrace it. So my word for 2012 is s t r e t c h.

I am trying to really challenge myself and my comfort zone this year. This applies to everything I do. I want to extend my boundaries in my craft, my love, my fears, my hopes. This expansion and stretching feels so good. I have challenged myself physically and mentally already this year. I have more complex, detailed knitting patterns selected as well as lofty goals in other areas. I can feel the old boundaries slip away as I s t r e t c h.

Of course, a true challenge emerged recently and put my word to the true test. Last week we found out that Dave has an opportunity to work out of state for several months. It will be a temporary assignment through his employer. The two of us decided it would be a grand adventure. We discussed if it could work and how it would work. I knew we could stretch and do it, so our family will be moving temporarily across the country. EEK! This is very far out of my comfort zone. I love adventure and new things, but I like a plan and the safety of the known. s t r e t c h


So in the next few weeks, we are putting everything we own into storage and embarking on a new journey. We will be living in a grand city with so much to do and see. It will be fantastic. We will be encountering a different climate complete with obvious seasons. We will need jackets and good walking shoes. We will be driving 37 hours to arrive at our destination. We will be seeing, doing and learning so much. It is a bit scary. But it will be a good s t r e t c h.

As I clamor to secure moving boxes, remove obligations and simplify our lives, I will continue to keep everyone posted on our preparations and adventures. This will be amazing, and I want you all to join us. Can you feel the s t r e t c h?



8 comments:

  1. it will be an amazing stretch! i am so excited for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I wonder where you are stretching to? Can't wait to find out all about it on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much fun you are going to have! I can't wait to see where this adventure takes you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you guys... you're going to LOVE your new city!!! I'm also excited that you'll be so much closer to us!!! We'll have to see you guys while you're on this side of the country!!! I can't wait for your adventure to begin and hope the kiddos are as excited as you guys are!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. new adventures!!!! How fun!! How exciting!!! and you have the security of knowing that it's not forever! and as a "guest" in a new city--you will eek out all the goodness like a tourist but be able to do it like a resident!! can't wait to join on the adventure with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We will miss you guys. I'm trying to think of some good things to send with you to make the drive easier. Muffins maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. an inspiring post heather :) i am VERY excited for your new adventures and can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete