Pages

Monday, November 07, 2011

Survival of the fittest

Our garden is beginning to show signs of life now that our weather has begun to cool. The seedlings are reaching for the sky growing taller each day. I decided it was time to thin the seedlings. As you can see from the top photo, the kale was quite crowded. My spinach is not nearly so clustered, and I wonder where all those seeds landed for both spinach and chard ended up.
Truly I hate thinning my plants, trying to decide which will remain and throwing away the rest. The whole process seems so wasteful. I decided to try to salvage whatever seedlings I could thin and plant them elsewhere. It seems to have worked. I now have kale seedlings in this little garden plot and two more pots. Hopefully I can remember to water all of them. Fortunately there is rain in our forecast. Did I mention we had temperatures in the 60's? I am afraid my husband will want the heat on soon!

1 comment:

  1. you know i have that same problem... i just hate thinning, i feel bad. lol they worked so hard to grow up out of the dirt only to have me yank the poor things up.
    have you ever tried "square foot gardening"? not so much the whole soil thing, especially if your ground is good, but just the planting idea? less thinning and seed wasting. :)

    ReplyDelete