Pages

Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Knitting Ennui

We spent some time at the park today. We have been parking a lot lately as the weather has been beautiful. It happens when you live in the desert southwest. The park was full of painting today. There was face paint

and a whole lot of green body painting.

What there wasn't much of was knitting. I have been in a bit of a knitting funk. Two days ago I frogged a sweater for myself. I changed needles as my gauge seemed to be off and a friend said I had to swatch in the same needles I would be using to knit (circular needles instead of straights). So I started anew with bigger needles. I knit that for a bit, but stopped as my gauge is still off. Then there are two pairs of longies to knit for a new set of twins to arrive in May. Those sit languishing in my knitting bag. Today I decided I needed to break the cycle and knit a quick hat. So, I headed to the park today with THREE projects in my purse. With all those options available, I didn't knit a single stitch. I did, however, take the yarn out for the hat hoping to cast on. It just sat there.

Now I am home, and as I wind down for the day I have decided to begin and finish the hat. Of course, with 70 degree weather there isn't much need for a hat, but I have a need to break through the ennui. So for now I am knitting Soulemama's favorite knit hat, watching a bit of John Adams and reading a bit of Ape House by Sara Gruen. 
Yarn Along

4 comments:

  1. I have a baby sweater you can finish for me. I'm sure that would break you out of your rut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know EXACTLY what you mean about a knitting rut! I have ripped the same shawl out 4 times and it's still not the way I envision. My solution? Put it in a bag and whip out a quick project instead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry I broke your knitting mojo. Sometimes you just need a day off?

    I've got to knit another pair of those cabled socks - I may start those tonight. Plus all those blanket square I committed to for my OWL (heckle all you want).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't break my knitting mojo; you just slowed it down. I still am trying to figure out how to knit a gauge swatch on circs that are long. I then need to wash it because the yarn blooms and stretches. sigh. On a happier front the hat is done.

    ReplyDelete