Pages

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Sharing

Finding something you love to do is a wonderful thing. Sharing what you love is even better. Recently I was able to share my obsession hobby with Aine's Girl Scout troop. Her troop had a hobby fair, and they invited friends and family to share their passions. Some came armed with coins, looms, weaving, cameras, geo-caching, and duct tape. I brought yarn.

I displayed a few of my creations as well as my main work in progress. I wanted the girls to see the possibilities that lay in a skein of yarn and pair of knitting needles. I also brought a couple sets of needles and various weights of yarn including a lot of worsted to share. Quite a few of the girls wanted to learn how to knit. I showed them how to cast-on using the backward loop method. It seemed the easiest to share, and they just wanted to begin knitting! After the girls had a row cast on, we began knitting. They were great students. Each learned the knit stitch and were able to complete a few rows. I even had one of the moms pick up needles and try knitting. The troop plans to have another day devoted to knitting. I can hardly wait!

In the meantime, I will keep working on the sleeves of my sweater. I have another six inches to knit on the first sleeve. I truly hope to finish it soon, so I can move on to the other sleeve and eventually other projects. After a long hold period, I finally picked up The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest from the library. I really like this trilogy. It can be very violent, but I think the story is well written. I am reading it on my Nook in the evenings. My gym reading remains Freedom, and I hope to also finish it this week. One thing I realized with the weekly updates, is that I may be the slowest reader and knitter participating in Ginny's yarn along. Oh well, at least I am knitting and reading.

11 comments:

  1. Way to go on your sweater - it's exciting that you're almost done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you are getting so close! I think I am the only one who hasn't read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest...I really need to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love teaching kids to knit ... you'll get a spark of real fiber-love from some of them that may grow into a real passion. The kids are usually so excited once they start getting something below the needles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have brought yarn too. My kids think it's weird that there are moms who don't sit around making things for them with yarn all the time. :) Congrats on being almost done with your sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to keep an out for that book you are reading..sounds good!

    ~Renee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you can get the sweater off your needles soon. I haven't read the book, but have watched the first couple of movies from the book series. Jacinta

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so exciting to see kids getting into knitting!
    We're on the same reading path, I just finished Freedom, and I read the Girl trilogy last year!
    All great reads, though I wish the characters in Freedom were more likable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun that must have been to teach the girls how to knit!! Sometimes when I knit or crochet out in public, I always see young eyes staring, and I get that feeling of "oh I would love to show them!" or that I wish they would ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i enjoyed the millenium trilogy as well. it's violent but character driven so it wasn't so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The trilogy sounds interesting and I look forward to seeing your sweater! I am working on teaching two of mine to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heather - you sound so excited about teaching the children how to knit, it's true - it's great to share your passion, makes for an enthusiastic teacher, x. & your stitches are so neat. Thanks kindly, Katie x

    ReplyDelete