Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

I snapped...

my knitting needle while at the park on Tuesday. I know that the smaller size needles are fragile, so I try to have a gentle grip. I was doing fine with my size 1 needles until I tried showing my friend the tip of a pen. We were discussing the merits of a fine point sharpie when I took the lid off. I was still holding my knitting when I heard the crack. I knew immediately that my sock progress would be delayed. No needle meant no more knitting on the sock.

The socks are a gift for a very patient person. My SIL has been hinting about socks for a few years now. I never got the subtle hinting. I would just blissfully knit along not realizing she wanted me to make her socks. With some gentle nudging help from my brother, I now know she wants some socks. Her birthday is fast approaching, and I want to present her with socks. Broken knitting needles can only thwart me so far, so I bought a new set at the local fabric store yesterday. I hope to knit a few more inches on the socks today. They are an easy afterthought heel construction.
When I set aside the sock knitting, I reached into my bag for another project. I have learned through experience to never carry only one knitting project. Aine's Milo vest was my backup project. I knit another heart cable repeat on the vest before leaving the park. I am hoping to finish it in the next week. She loves the color already and is very eager to wear it.
Fortunately I had something to keep me occupied as my kiddos played a game of whiffle ball(complete with tree climbing to rescue an errant ball) and crafted a water and mud slide. Park days are full of conversation, games and a whole lot of knitting.

Joining Ginny late this week for knitting and reading, although I have not read much this week aside from books for my children.

8 comments:

  1. a while ago i sat on a needle and snapped it. i was so sad. the vest is so lovely. i can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nerve of your needle breaking like that! I am knitting with a size 0 needle, but was too afraid of it breaking so for once I went with metal. I really don't want to hear that breaking sound! :) I love the idea of having more than one project in the bag when you are out and will have to follow your example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the title to this post :) It was an attention grabber for me! I hope you can get another needle asap!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! Needle breaking is no fun. I'm glad you came prepared with another project. I see the pattern for the Afterthought Heel Sock (saved it in my Ravelry library) - I've heard of this before but don't know what it meant so I tracked down the video from their site. Do you like the method?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear, with needles that tiny its bound to happen to anyone! i always carry my knitting basket with a few things, just in case you see. hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have only snapped crochet hooks, never a knitting needle (yet). I love the colors on the Milo vest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the vest is looking so sweet...katherine broke a size 7 bamboo needle right in half recently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you were able to pick up a replacement set and can get back to knitting those fabulous socks. I love the little heart pattern on Aine's vest!

    ReplyDelete