Pages

Sunday, November 03, 2013

Tiny Stitches





The mornings have been gorgeous and cool. After my walk in the brisk morning air, I have been picking up my needles to either knit or embroider for a bit. Recently I pulled out the Winterwoods sampler I bought last year from Alicia. I hesitated when she first released the pattern. I live in the southwest, and our winter is so very different from most of the United States. After our time in Virginia I changed my mind, I still love the feel of fall and the memories of my childhood spent in colder climates. With cooler weather here, it seemed the perfect time to begin the cross-stitch sampler.

Clad in jeans, a long sleeved shirt and flip flops, I took up residence on the front porch this weekend. The kiddos rode bikes and played in the driveway. Intermittently they would come over to check out my progress. Aine commented on how much she liked my shirt, a rare comment from the eight year old fashionista, who thinks her mom is rather pedestrian in her dress. Then she counted the figures on the sampler to help me figure out how much to finish each day. Eamon recounted to make sure she was correct, and because we forgot how many she had. We made a plan. So far I have two rows complete and the beginnings of a third. This meditative stitching is really perfect for me right now. My current knitting pattern requires too much concentration. The kiddos continue to race around our park and climb trees, while I marvel at the beauty of our world. With weather like this, I am sure the sampler should be done this week. It is too hard not to spend this time on the porch. 

3 comments:

  1. i have been loving the mornings out in the front with the kids playing and knitting in my lap, along with a nice hot cup of cocoa. and i must admit i am so happy we are not up to our armpits in snow like some areas. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. i did the same thing when I did this sampler....so many things a day...and such a relatively mindless project. i loved doing it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad you pulled it out to work on again, I love revisiting old projects that I've set aside. Most of the time I cannot remember why I've set it aside!

    ReplyDelete