Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Quickies

For September I mentioned that I am knitting single skein projects in the hopes of knitting out of my stash. Thus far it is working. I have knit two hats and one cowl. Here is my update for all those visiting from Ginny's Yarn Along.

Eamon wanted the purple scrappy hat only if I added a button(it was pictured last week). He crafted a Pokemon button which was promptly sewn onto the hat. He has worn it everyday. The other hat is mine, and I think it will match my gray coat very well. In truth I love it. The pattern is Foliage from Knitty.com. The beginning of the pattern is a bit fiddly as you work from the top down. Once you have a few stitches on the needles, it just flies. The yarn is Malabrigo from deep in my stash. I believe I bought it in 2005 for wool soakers. It is delightfully soft and squishy.
I am not sure about the wearer or recipient of the cowl. It is super soft and squishy. I made it out of two different skeins of Malabrigo in complementary colors (beige and applewood). I ran out of one of the colors, so the back is a bit lighter. It works though. I think I may want to keep it. Of course, warm squishy cowls are not a real necessity here.
Nice photo of the camera, eh?
 I also finished my February Lady Sweater. I love it! As I mentioned I wasn't sure about the fit and whether it would flatter. I really think it is a great shape. I still need to block the sweater. I am a bit concerned abut how much it may grow. I tried to make it a size smaller and a bit short, but it is still generous. Once I block it and find buttons (which are a whole other challenge), I will share it with you.

Today I cast on a shawl for Aine. When I made the Lavalette shawl, she really wanted it. I wasn't sure I wanted to part with that particular shawl. This weekend, we talked a bit about what she wanted. She likes all things pink and purple. I selected two skeins of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino from my bin of yarn and set to work. I am making the Moody Kerchief from Kirsten Kapur of Through the Loops fame. I really like her patterns for clarity and beauty (I knit her Mystery Sock patterns during October for three years and am a bit sad that she may not do it this year). Hopefully Aine likes the result.
I am still reading Ellis Island. It is enjoyable, but I have been slow. There is too much knitting to do! I am also finishing up Crossing to Safety on audiobook. I have made a bit more progress on this book since I can listen and knit at the same time.

25 comments:

  1. A. We need to see the Pokemon button.
    B. Cowls are handy in ice rinks. Perhaps you kids need to take up hockey or figure skating to justify cowls?
    C. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at how long your hair is!!! LOVE it!!! The cowls are cute! I was thinking, "Isn't it hot in AZ to need a cowl?" LOL I guess with those "cool" 90 degree days you've got to stay warm right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:25 AM

    have you been busy! i love the hat.

    (the knee highs are really tricky – the pattern as well as the size. and the worst thing is you don't seem to know if they fit until you are all the way down...)

    best regards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! I'm about halfway through that hat for Kit. I think it's my 5th one. That's my favorite hat pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, I love your red hat! I think it's time I knit myself a cowl...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your projects all look lovely but I especially like your red hat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cowl, it looks so very snuggly. I think I need to start on some quick one skein projects for stash busting purposes myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the hat and the cowl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The foliage looks awesome! I'm knitting a bunch of hats so I might try my hand at that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cowl!It is next on my list of 'things to knit'. With winter coming up, I can't wait! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:00 AM

    Your fingers have been very busy. Both of your finished projects (seen) look wonderful. I'm starting a cowl too. As for the February sweater - I do hope you show that one. I've had that pattern on my computer for several years now but haven't done anything with it. I like your last comment about not reading being slow since there's so much knitting to be done! How true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The hat and cowl turned out great! Makes me wish for cooler temps to I can start wearing mine. Or knit a few more... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:54 AM

    Wow, you've been busy! Love the cowl - I want to make one for my sister for Christmas, this one looks like another lovely pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your hat and the cowl is quite nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous10:06 AM

    I really must try "reading" while knitting with audio books...it seems like the perfect solution! Love that raspberry hat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I asked those reading my post if they had any ideas for knitting and reading at the same time. Ive tried using a clip chip and hair clips but gets so fiddly. I would love to do audio books too except that I review for several publishers so we get paperbacks. I love the red hat. I think there is something about red....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous11:24 AM

    Way to knit from the stash!

    Everything looks great. And I second the Pokeman button reveal. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. All of your projects look lovely. The cowl is the perfect color for fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. such pretty knitting and i like your self portrait! the cowl looks amazing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh the cowl and the hat! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE the cowl you made. I've seen that knitting pattern myself and would like to make it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the cowl and if you can wear one in AZ I can wear one in SC!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous2:21 PM

    Beautiful knitting! I absolutely love the hat color and pattern. Gorgeous! -- Kathy at http://www.needleandspade.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really love the hat - it is perfect. Pokemon button? I think my older son would like to see that (he is 20 lol)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Abby wants to know why you don't show your face in your photos...

    ReplyDelete