Pages

Thursday, February 03, 2011

Best Dinner Ever

I meal plan and cook at home most nights. We try to eat dinner together every night. Lately, however, dinner has not been a success. In fact you could call dinner at our home a colossal flop. Meals have failed that were former hits - potato leek soup, tacos, and spaghetti. New recipes have also failed. Dave tried to tell me that the children almost vomited when presented with the recent Roasted Shrimp with Spaghetti Squash (I was at a meeting that night, but I ate the leftovers. It was good).

Tonight I decided to turn the tables on the small people. Eamon wanted me to make him a cheese sandwich just before dinner. I asked him to wait since the rest of us were in the middle of an art project (making watercolor hearts from coffee filters to hang in our windows). Then I asked him what he would like for dinner instead of cheese sandwiches as that was not the plan. He decided instead he would make a peanut butter sandwich for everyone. And he did. The sandwich was accompanied by carrots, cucumbers, celery, edamame, pecans and ranch dressing in shot glasses.

The kiddos were thrilled. Aine exclaimed that it was the best meal ever. (Hmmph) Each of them ate their meal and asked Eamon for more. He was quite pleased with himself. Perhaps he will help a bit more with meal planning and prep from now on. He did want to become a chef at one time.


3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm... I think I'd pick your shrimp over a peanut butter sandwich anyday!! But it's great that you let him take over meal planning and he had a successful dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to teach the kiddoes to help with meals. I think that dinner sounded pretty good to me but I'm not sure about the peanut butter. I like it but I need pickels with it! Sounds like the dinner was a success and that the chef should be proud of himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:34 AM

    I tend to feel apologetic when I present the kids this kind of dinner, especially since it's what my first grader takes to lunch at school every day, too. But they LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete