Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Good Decision

As I mentioned, I struggled with what knitting to take on our trip.  I always have optimistic visions of completing many more projects while road tripping. Despite ample car time, the trip was really only 5 days. Luckily I had plenty of choices packed with me.

The day before we left, I knocked out a quick washcloth for Dave. Finishing this quick project set the tone and energized my knitting. On the drive to California, I hunkered down and began my sweater. I knit and knit and knit on it. I even took it to the beach. I am almost done with the body of the sweater. Woo Hooo!! My gauge is still off, but I am forging ahead. It is sure to fit someone I know. The pattern is an easy, fast top down raglan.
Ginny's Yarn Along
Reading was more of a challenge. Fortunately our family listens to a lot of audiobooks. On this trip we read/listened to A Secret Garden twice. I think audiobooks rock. I was thrilled when I found this collection based on my sister's suggestion.

I am still plodding through An Object of Beauty as well. It is for my book group AHEBB (Angry Housewives Eating BonBons - named for the book by that name which was our first read). I am not enjoying it much. It is a bit difficult for me to get into. If I were reading it for my own pleasure I would have quit.

Do you ever quit reading a book?

I never used to do this, but I started in the last few years. It is so liberating. I find I only have so much time to read, so why spend it reading something I don't enjoy. At first I was a bit guilty but no more!

9 comments:

  1. I am the same on road trips! I take way more than I have a chance of completing in the wild hope that I will knit up a storm - and children won't be demanding snacks every 5 minutes. We have an upcoming trip so I am going to take your audio book suggestion!
    I love the sweater you are working on - what a lovely pattern!
    I am bad with books - non-fiction, I give up too often, fiction, I don't give up often enough. I always hope it will improve. I feel your pain...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually buy books for book club and then I feel compelled to finish them, even if it's a slog.
    The last time we met, though, two people didn't finish our book.
    Maybe I need to start going to the library instead. It sounds very liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always pack way more projects than I can finish on road trips to *grin*. Love the idea of audio books! I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have abandoned a few books midway through, but I do feel guilty that maybe I am missing something good at the end. I just recently read Brideshead Revisited. It was a bit of a boring read until about halfway through then it finally picked up. Good for you for taking your knitting to the beach! I was just on a trip but couldn't bring myself to take my sock to the pool.....I should have :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I would love to have a road trip soon! I would love nothing more than to have a few uninterrupted hours to work on my books and projects :). A friend of mine even had the idea of getting on a train from FL to GA and back just to crochet! Oh how I am tempted :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see your sweater! I've had it in my queue for quite a while. I just quit a book this week. I just couldn't do it. My time is too valuable for me to read something I just don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sweater looks fantastic, I really liked the pattern you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't go on many road trips, but when we do head to my in-laws I love to bring whatever project I'm working on. Love knitting to pass the time in the car, and I don't fel guilty that I should be doing something else.

    Blessings, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jess
    The library is my best resource for books. I also love our library's digital library. I can then download them to my iPod or eReader.

    ReplyDelete