Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Caddywumpus

Ridiculously crooked; out of whack and stupid looking

I first learned to crochet as a child. My mom taught me to chain and single crochet. I ended up with a rhombus shaped swatch. I put it aside. I learned to knit years later and have spent my time on that pursuit. I always knew how many stitches I had, and things turned out as expected (most of the time). Yet the art of crochet has pulled at me.

I am learning to crochet again. I made one of my nieces a hat for the holidays. It was my first real crochet project. It was so stinkin' cute pink with a huge flower. I made quite a few more flowers to embellish other hats. It was so easy and quick. I received a book about crochet, and I became cocky. I thought I had it figured out. I had made a hat, hadn't I!

Yesterday while talking with my sister, we discussed patterns. There are so many cute crochet patterns! She was making a washcloth and had just finished. I shared that I knit one for Dave the other day, but I was set to crochet one as well. We talked patterns more as I chained my first true washcloth. 

The directions were confusing, but I persevered. It was a mess! I am not sure where it went so horribly wrong. I made a dishcloth in the shape of Montana. I am sure Dave will not mind. I think I am going to say I invented a new stitch or pattern. I think my sister will say it is caddywumpus.
Coincidentally it is yellow like my first project

4 comments:

  1. OMG! You invented a new stitch! That's awesome. I think it is hilarious it is in the shape on Montana. Perhaps you could make 50 all unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that word! and now i know how to spell it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for Montana-shaped cloths! Now when I create wonky-shaped pieces I'll just try to find a state that matches :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the wash cloth love. A friend told me where I may have gone wrong. I just think I may create a whole line of them ;)

    ReplyDelete