Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Calming


While waiting for Aine to return from surgery, I knit. I knit and I knit and I knit. In preparation for our stay in the hospital, I cast-on for Eamon's pullover Sunday night. I wanted to be ready for the waiting that would ensue with some rhythmically, calming stockinette stitch. It worked.

This sweater is my first Elizabeth Zimmerman pattern. I am following her basic recipe for a seamless raglan. It is easy going thus far; I am almost to the sleeve split. I could be further, but in the darkness of Aine's room last night, I accidently split my yarn and knit two stitches where one should be. I didn't notice until I finished that 10 row stripe. Oh well! A bit of frogging back to that point, and I was off again.

I am using a "new to me" yarn from Beaverslide Dry Goods. It is the 90/10 worsted, and I really love it. This love is compounded by the fact that Leanne, the owner of Beaverslide, is super nice and helpful. I had some colorway questions, and she took the time to talk to me about what I was making while offering some suggestions. The yarn feels really nice too!

Eamon favorite color is black with red as a very close second, so stripes seemed like the perfect solution. While we were sitting and talking in the waiting area, Dave queried why I was making a Freddy Krueger sweater. It briefly sullied the experience. For a little while I couldn't stop thinking of his association. After a few more stripes, I forgot about it. Truly my son has no idea who that horror character is, and he will love his sweater. That is all that matters!

Not much reading this week. I have flipped through a few magazines while here. My very dear friends brought us a care package. It is a huge bag jam packed with goodies and more magazines than I could read in a month. Again we are so lucky to have so many amazing people in our lives.

16 comments:

  1. i made a hat for logan a couple years ago that was black and red stripped. it is always a nice striking pattern.
    give your baby girl our love. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost feel the soft texture of that yarn through the computer screen! Beautiful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stressful time for your family! I hope your dear one heals quickly!
    That sweater looks so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your little girl will heal quickly and you'll all be able to go home soon. I never would have thought of Freddie, had you not mentioned it. I think the stripes look fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope everything continues to be well and you are all home soon. Looks like you have wonderful support from some awesome friends.
    I love the stripes on the sweater!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh! you do have sweet friends. i think we need to find another character that wears a striped sweater. hope little aine is feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sweater is going to be beautiful. I love Elizabeth Zimmerman, even though the only thing I've knit so far is the Baby Surprise Jacket.

    My thoughts are with your Aine and you while you go through this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that sounds so stressful and i'm so happy you have knitting to soothe you. my best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

    i think harry potter has stripes in his scarf? and where's waldo had a striped sweater! love those stripes (and leanne too, i've been thrilled with beaverslide, i'm making e.z.s pi shawl and have had to reorder 3 times!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Healing wishes to you little girl. Children bounce back amazingly quickly. I love your sweater. Having never seen one of those films, I wouldn't know, but we have a funny children's cartoon comic character called Dennis the Menace who wears red and black stripes :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:40 PM

    Oh my! I had no idea you were going through these terrifying hours/days. I'm so happy to hear the most scary moments are over for you both (but not for me as I now have Freddie Kruger to think about ;-)). Love how so many people are taking care of you and that your knitting is serving you well, too. Blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the sweater and the color combination is great! I hope your child is still improving and your stress is lessening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope your girls recovery continues to speed along. Love the stripey colours, one of our boys has a red and very dark grey striped jumper which he loves. I never thought of the krueger connection until someone mentioned it recently, horror films are not my thing lol.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Black and red is a classic combo. I love it to death (I did a whole series of pottery in black/red last year).

    I love Beaverslide yarn so much. Mom also had questions and called up before ordering her yarn and was just so pleased.

    Continuing to send healing thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Heather, what a difficult time. I'm so glad Aine is healing and that you have such great support.
    I think the striped sweater is great! I love stripes - and I never would have thought of Freddie Kruger.
    Hugs to you! xoR

    ReplyDelete
  15. This stripes are classic and beautiful. Hope all is going well and yay for great friends too!

    ReplyDelete